Thursday, November 20, 2008

searching for tags or tagging your search

I searched the sites that were mentioned on this weeks blogs. What do I say about the results that were achieved? Firstly Google and Zuula produced so many that I couldn't be bothered to look. MU's catalogue was no help... UQ had four. The others all came up with much smaller numbers, with varying degrees of academic relevance. I liked the tags that were available in del.icio.us, citeulike and connotea. They could be useful... but I can't get past the feeling that it would be a mistake to rely on the information that others have found on the search that I did. There may be a lot more stuff out there that is a lot more relevant to me. I think I'd like to investigate Kart00 a little more. I like the idea of the hierarchies of information that it creates.

But the problem for me is that there are so many ways to go about the same thing and no one resource will give the same result. For those short on time or enthusiasm, what is the best one to use? And will there be another new one that is worth exploring next week? This dilema is one of the issues that web 2.0 throws up for me. Maybe I need to go and talk to a librarian to help me through the maze!

Del.ic.ious I want to explore further. Other than its searching and tagging capabilities, it might actually be a useful tool to help me keep my 'stuff' (both work, pleasure and leisure) in some sort of order, without limiting me to the one computer (or making sure by bookmarks are saved when I move to a new one). We will see.....

1 comment:

kate said...

You said that delicious " might actually be a useful tool to help me keep my 'stuff' (both work, pleasure and leisure) in some sort of order" - I've decided this must be my mission in life - getting/keeping my stuff in order - hence the obsession with trunks, suitcases, boxes, bags, and other containers - as well as trying to muster some sort of mental order with the help of taxonomies, file cards, indexed notebooks, etc. except I still seem to need an uber-system (virtual or otherwise) to keep all the other systems in order 'cos how do you otherwise keep track of what's in the trunks, boxes, bags, notebooks, etc?
I'm becoming one of those elderly spinsters who spend inordinate amounts of time pottering around the house poking into their trunks, boxes, bags, etc., muttering 'aha, so that's where that is' - good to know that I finally do have a mission in life though :-)